Wednesday, August 26, 2009

School year 09-10


School is in session. I began teaching at my new school this past Monday, Bear Creek k-8, in Lakewood, Colorado. My 4th graders have made the transition into the new school for me smooth and it has been a fun first few days of class. I am exhausted, but after having June, July, and most of August off, it will take a week or two to get back into the routine.

As I lay in the bed last night, ready t0 turn in for the night, I turned over and said to my wife, "Lets begin planning our vacation this year, after the first few days of teaching, Mexico, or back to the Caribbean where the grains of sand stick to your skin and every day you can taste the salt, sea, sun, and breeze and relax on the beach and read a good book in one sitting."

Don't get me wrong, I love my job, I love teaching children. I cannot see myself doing anything else. And when I was searching for work last spring, I was scared. I was scared and unsure of what kind of work that I would be doing this year. Fortunately, I was offered a job at a wonderful school in a great community, and fit into the school community quite well. The move to Colorado for Jill and I this summer was not nearly as stressful as it could have been if I had not had a job.

Part of what teachers look forward to, because they work hard for it, is the vacation time. Thus, discussing our next vacation with my wife, Jill, last night (the first week of school). The work that teachers put into the year, makes the holiday breaks, June, July, and August worth while. I look forward to the new curriculum, new projects, technology, staff, students, and all that Bear Creek has to offer this year. I just joined the Recycling Committee today! I am beginning a unit on Classroom Economy. It is exciting to be a part of molding students lives and it is gratifying to see the way that students look up to teachers. It is humbling when they grow and change and celebrate their successes and learn from their mistakes.


No comments: